Popular Posts

Monday 6 December 2010

Reflections

This image is this week's rather clever prompt at Magpie Tales, the poem below, my response to it.



How right that glass should guard the threshold where
the two domains, inside and out, have drawn,
in silverpoint, self-portraits on its back-
to-back pellucid sheets that now are one.
So shapes we've left behind us ghost before
and those before embrace the ones behind
and worlds we thought were separate are mixed.
Our artefacts and nature interact
and works we see as nature's or as ours
become a montage when we look again .

12 comments:

C.M. Jackson said...

great magpie--reflections on many levels--c

Helen said...

Before clicking to comments .. I was all set to write 'lovely reflections' but that Ms. Jackson beat me to it!!!

Tess Kincaid said...

Curious and wonderful last line. Well done, Dave.

Kat Mortensen said...

Very nice. I like the use of "ghost" as a verb particularly.

Kat

Karen said...

This is very differnt from your usual style, and not as a comment on your other work, which you know I love, but this is remarkable!

The Blog of Bee said...

I'm in awe.

Titus said...

That is one impressive poem, Dave, a deal of complexity very tightly, and beautifully, packed. Love the Janus-ness of image and poem.

Jim Murdoch said...

Fine, fine poem. Excellent word choice and not too long which encourages immediate rereading. And this poem does need to be mulled over.

Strummed Words said...

Beautiful. The glass separating two worlds. Very nicely done.

Unknown said...

A fascinating interpretation of the prompt, Dave.

Rinkly Rimes said...

The concept is intriguing and the lines flow beautifully.

Anonymous said...

"Worlds we thought were separate are mixed"until"we look again".And looking at the list of blogs you visit I find you pass through so many worlds-I will look here again because I always need my eyes lifted to watch the immense wonder of the universe that spins quietly beyond the horizon of my home.